Sutton Pool From St Teresa's Circa 1950

To buy prints of any image featured on this website see our SWiB Forms page for instructions


Featured in the Plymouth Extra on the 26th February 2009

DING-2-1.jpg

DING/2/1 Sutton Pool from St Teresa's, circa 1950

"Winding the clock back more than 50 years, this was the view from the first post-war building in the city, St Teresa's in Beaumont Road.

Part of the then empire of E Dingle and Co., this was the most westerly building in Beaumont Road, on the corner with Gasking Street. Ebrington Street began on the other side of the junction. It stood on the site of the erstwhile Roman Catholic Orphanage, St Teresa's, which had been built 80 years eaerlier and which moved to Cornwall in 1920.

Fully functional the the beginning of 1950, St Teresa's was opened fully 18 months before Dingle's Department Store was ready in Royal Parade.

The view from the top of St Teresa's in 1950 is very different now, not only because new buildings now obscure this view, but also because there have been so many changes around Sutton Pool itself.

In 1950 the buildings in the foreground were part of old Exeter Street; those are long gone, Exeter Street has been realigned and what was part of Exeter Street is now an extension of Breton Side. Massive apartment blocks now line the waterfront, lock hates control the water levels inside the yacht-packed harbour, the fish market has moved on to a new landfill site and a building has come and gone - and been replaced - on the bomb site next to the Cattewater Harbourmaster's offices.

Picture courtesy of the South West Image Bank (01752 665445) ref: DING/2/1."

(Commentary by Chris Robinson)


HLF_logo_one.jpg

All rights reserved. Site design supported by Rob Elliott at Strathview Consultants