Dingles Collection (DING)

SWiB Reference DING
Accession Number 40
Coverage Temporal 1920s-1990s
Type Photographic

Administrative Detail -

Mr E. Dingle began his company in 1880, shorty afterwards Thomas Baker (later Sir Thomas, Freeman of the city of Plymouth) joined in partnership with Edward Dingle. On their decease the company was carried on by their sons, Frank. H Dingle, J. R Baker and Harold Baker.

E. Dingle & Co. Ltd. was incorporated on the 28th January 1935 to aquire the assets and undertaking of the partnership, and in the course of its development the company aquired W. J Vickery & Co. Ltd. and Underwood and Co. Ltd. These premises were in a central position in the city of Plymouth but was totally destroyed in 1941 during the war.

In 1950 the new St Teresa's building was finished and operating in its entirety by January 1950. By Spetember 1951 the New Dingle Building was finished and opened with 40,000 customers attending the opening ceremony. The new building was then extended in 1975 and extra floors were added on the top of the existing building.

In 1987 the Dingles building was subject to an arson attack with the fire causing extensive water damage. Dingles was then revamped and launched again in 1990 with a new interior and exterior.

In 2008 Dingles has had a change of name and now is known as House of Fraser. The collection was deposited with SWiB in 2008.

Scope and Content -

Collection of files, papers and photographic material including interior and exterior views, wartime and reconstruction shots, company history notes and contemporary news articles on the post war development of Dingles.

Collection Catalogue (full) Dingles_Catalogue.doc

Access Conditions -

Open access.

View the full collection via the SWiB collection galleries page or contact us to book an appointment to view/request further information.

Reproduction Conditions -

Reproduction from scanned surrogates of originals in accordance with appropriate copy ordering proceedure.

Note -

Description compiled by Stacey Dyer, Archivist, 23 December 2008.


All rights reserved. Site design supported by Rob Elliott at Strathview Consultants